The Glass House, or Johnson house, is a historic house museum on Ponus Ridge Road in New Canaan, Connecticut. Built in 1948–49, it was designed by Philip Johnson as his own residence, and "universally viewed as having been derived from" the Farnsworth House in Plano, Illinois design, according to Alice T. Friedman.
It was an important and influential project for Johnson and for modern architecture. The building is an essay in minimal structure, geometry, proportion, and the effects of transparency and reflection. It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1997. It is now owned by the National Trust for Historic Preservation, and is open to the public for guided tours.
The house is an example of early use of industrial materials such as glass and steel in home design.
Johnson lived at the weekend retreat for 58 years.
|This article uses material from the article wikipedia:Glass House, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (House}&action=history view authors).|